Monday, November 22, 2010

My Favorite Thanksgiving Recipe

Brussels sprouts before roastingImage by johnsu01 via Flickr
Brussels Sprouts--a holiday tradition at our house!
My favorite food for Thanksgiving and Christmas is Dressing (or Stuffing if you're putting it in a turkey)!  Over the last 30+ years since becoming a vegetarian, I have developed what I think is a delicious recipe for Dressing.  Let me know what YOU think!

Kat's Holiday Dressing 

1 box of Mrs. Cubbison's Cube Herb Seasoned Stuffing Mix
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups sliced celery
2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
1 cup dried cranberries (optional)
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth ( more

Put Stuffing Mix and cooked brown rice in a large bowl.  Saute onions, celery and mushrooms in butter or margarine till done; add cranberries.  Pour sauteed ingredients into bowl with stuffing mix.  Add vegetable broth. Mix well. Pour into oiled baking dish and bake for 30 minutes covered.  Remove cover and bake for 15 more minutes for a crispier top.

Sometimes I add a meat replacement called Fri-Chik and you could certainly add any meat you want to this recipe.  However, this year we will have it just as written above.

Our Thanksgiving menu this year:

Dressing
Roasted Vegetables (potatoes, onions, garlic (lots of garlic), carrots, butternut squash drizzled with olive oil and rosemary)
Brussels Sprouts (fresh, cut off the stalks just before cooking--yummm!)
Sweet Potatoes
Cranberry Sauce
Olives
Squash rolls (you NEED this yummy recipe!)
Pie:  Vegan Pumpkin, Pecan and Apple

Happy Cooking!  Kat






Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I have never made Sauerkraut & LOVE it Kat. I am envious. I do though have 2 crocks, why I do not know since I have never made anything in them? I LOVE stuffing/dressing, and even eat it cold, although I am not Vegan. I use Mrs. Dash's Herbs in mine with a bit of savoury and thyme. Have a great week x

    ReplyDelete