Monday, January 3, 2011

Aladdin Cookies

Uncooked bulgur wheatImage via Wikipedia
Uncooked Bulgar Wheat
Have you ever used bulgur wheat?  Do you know what bulgur wheat is?  I have used bulgur for most of my life and love it's taste and texture.  There are some great recipes using bulgur. 


"Bulgur is a quick-cooking form of whole wheat that has been cleaned, parboiled, dried, ground into particles and sifted into distinct sizes.  The result is a nutritious, versatile wheat product with a pleasant, nut-like flavor and an extended shelf-life that allows it to be stored for long periods." --Sunnyland Mills


Each Monday this month I will share some of my favorite bulgur recipes, starting with my very favorite--Aladdin Cookies.  


Aladdin Cookies
1/3 cup shortening (I use Coconut Oil)
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup cold, cooked bulgur
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped nuts
Cream together oil and sugar; add egg and bulgur.  Sift together dry ingredients and stir in.  Add raisins and nuts.  Drop on lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.  Makes about 20 cookies.
**Note:  Instead of greasing cookie sheets, I use parchment paper.  



No comments:

Post a Comment