Monday, January 17, 2011

Bulgur Recipe #3

Sloppy JoeImage by jeffreyw via Flickr
Sloppy Joes
This is a photo of vegetarian meatballs on a p...Image via Wikipedia
Vegetarian Meatballs
I hope you got a chance to try the Tabouli recipe from last week.  I have decided to make it for our church potluck on Saturday.  Should be a crowd pleaser!


I am going to preface this next recipe by saying I am a vegetarian.  I don't know if I have said that before but I am saying it now:)  That said, some of my recipes will be interesting to my meat-eating readers. Even among my meat-eating friends, there are those who like to have one or two vegetarian nights a week--for health reasons and for economy.  Today's recipe is one of those interesting ones and I have put off making it for a couple of years because I just wasn't sure about it but once I made it, I loved it!  It is called Bulgur Burger and can be used as a taco filling, in taco soup, to make Sloppy Joes, Shepherd's Pie or "meat" balls.  Use your imagination. 


Bulgur Burger
1 cup bulgur wheat
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup walnuts, ground (or chopped fine)
1 Tablespoon dried onion flakes
1 clove garlic (or 1/2 teaspoon powder)
1 Tablespoon food yeast flakes (nutritional yeast)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon Bragg Liquid Aminos (or increase salt to 1 teaspoon)
1 Tablespoon Beef-like Seasoning ( I use Bill's Best All Vegetable Beaf Seasoning)
8-ounce can tomato sauce

  1. Mix all ingredients together in saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until thick. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes.
  2. Use as is, or place in a Teflon skillet over medium-high heat and brown, stirring now and then. If desired, add about one cup diced onion and brown with bulgur wheat.
Variation: Bulgur Taco Filling
Replace Beef-Like Seasoning with 1/2 package mild taco seasoning. Serve in tacos, burritos or tostadas.

Have a great day--the beginning to a wonderful week!  Kat
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment