Thursday, April 14, 2011

What's in Your Refrigerator?!

First of all, I just looked at my stats and I am just two blog visits away from 1500!!! I can't believe you all have visited that many times!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!! I will have something special next week to celebrate so stay tuned!  One favor--if you enjoy my blog, please become a friend:)


Now for what my post was supposed to be about.  


Are you a daily, weekly, bi-weekly or monthly grocery shopper? We live in the middle of nowhere so are not able to go to the grocery store more than weekly and it is usually bi-weekly. So, as I was making dinner on Monday, I started to wonder how long I could cook meals for my family with just the food that I have on hand. Realistically, there could be situations where you would have to do just that. A couple winters ago, the trucks were not able to run because of the snow and the store shelves were pretty pitiful after just a few days. What about a truckers' strike? So my challenge to you today is to try cooking for the next week with just what you have on hand and I will do the same.


Monday, I made Yakisoba. I found the ingredients lurking in my refrigerator and it was sooo yummy! Tuesday, I didn't really cook. Last night we had Basmati rice with delicious greens from the garden (still growing from fall), onions, garlic, almonds plus seasonings. Today I plan to make what we call Haystacks--layer corn chips, pinto beans, rice, sweet onions, lettuce, olives, avocados and salsa (one of my favorite meals!). But for today I am going to share the Yakisoba recipe I made on Monday. Quick, easy and delicious!


Yakisoba


1 pound Yakisoba noodles
Vegetables to stir fry:

  • Bok Choy, sliced
  • Onions, chunked
  • Carrots, sliced
  • Mushrooms, fresh, whole or sliced
  • Celery, sliced
  • Broccoli florets
1 cup +/- Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce (or sauce of choice)

Stir fry vegetables in 2 Tbsp oil (I use coconut oil because it remains stable when stir frying), adding broccoli last. When vegetables are nearly done (still crunchy), add noodles and sauce. Stir to coat all ingredients with sauce. Tada! Done and delicious!!!

Be sure to share with me the things you are able to make from your refrigerator and pantry over the next week. 

Hug the ones you love and pray for those you don't:)  Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment