Friday, October 18, 2013

Curried French Green Lentil Soup

I am still trying to recover strength and energy after my cold/flu bout! Does that mean I'm getting old or would it have just been much worse on someone older? I walked 2+ miles on the treadmill 4 days this week so am working my way back to good health. 

Speaking of health, this soup was sooo yummy when I was sick! It's called Curried French Lentil Soup and tastes amazing! The curry isn't too strong or too hot and all the ingredients work together to make the perfect fall/winter soup.


You may remember awhile back I told you my hubby bought me a new cookbook...


I am really enjoying this cookbook and the recipe for the Curried French Lentil Soup is on page 269. You can purchase this cookbook at Amazon.com for $18.62 (Amazon prices change quickly and frequently); price listed on the book is $24.95.

Now for the recipe...

Curried French Lentil Soup

1 Tbsp        olive oil
1               large onion, chopped
3               carrots, peeled and chopped
2               stalks celery with leaves, chopped
4               cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp       Curry Powder (I used Sambar Curry Powder--Masala)
10 cups      Vegetable Broth
1               can (28 oz) diced tomatoes with juice
2 cups        French puy lentils, picked through and rinsed
2               bay leaves
2 cups        cubed red potatoes
3/4 tsp       salt
3/4 tsp       freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp       chopped fresh parsley
  1. Place a large saucepan over medium heat and let pan get hot. Add oil and tip pan to coat. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in curry, broth, tomatoes with juice, lentils and bay leaves and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, for 35 minutes. Add potatoes and cook until potatoes and lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat. Stir in salt, pepper and parsley. Discard bay leaves and serve hot.
This would be a great recipe to add to your list for Meatless Mondays:) Do you do a Meatless day during the week? I really enjoy watching The Chew while I walk on the treadmill and they talk a lot about doing Meatless Mondays! Of course, we are meatless everyday!

I am going to try to get back with a card a little later today and here is a preview...


Have a great day!

Kat

2 comments:

  1. I'm a carnivore through & through, but my BFF is pretty much Vegan and would love this recipe! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your BFF enjoys this soup as much as we do! Nothing like a good pot of soup when the weather turns cold!

      Delete