Saturday, April 12, 2014

K is for Kathryn

Today is Day 12 of the A to Z Blogging Challenge and since I am telling you about me, A to Z, this month, I thought it was only fitting that K should be for my given name, Kathryn!

Some sources say the name Kathryn is Greek and others say English but all say the meaning is "Pure"! Not sure I was aptly named but it's a nice thought anyway. My mother got the spelling for the name off a dress shop.

As a child I was dubbed Kathy by my parents; I have been Kathy ever since. I always thought as an adult I would want to be called Kathryn because it's such an elegant name for an aging woman. However, I find that as I stand on the brink of 60, I much prefer the sassy name Kat! Many of my close friends call me Kat; sister-in-law calls me Kit-Kat.



This is one of my favorite pictures of myself when I was little. It was my first grade picture and I was six years old. The funny thing is that previous to this picture, my hair was long enough for a pony tail but my mom had it chopped off and permed before the picture. Thanks, mom!



I'm not sure if I was 8 or 9 in this picture. Fortunately my mom didn't do the frizz-head thing with my hair before this picture!

So, what have you learned about me so far this month?

  • I was born and raised in Ashland, Oregon
  • I love to blog
  • I also enjoy knitting, crocheting and cardmaking
  • I have two dogs--a Great Dane and an English Bulldog
  • I hate exercise but do it because I want to age gracefully
  • I am the oldest of four children; I have a sister and two brothers
  • I am a Gramma to one beautiful granddaughter
  • I have Fibromyalgia; am allergic to peanuts, watermelon, dairy and eggs
  • I love ice cream but eat the non-dairy stuff and also eat pizza with no cheese
  • I am choosing Joy as my theme this year
  • From the picture below you will learn that I have long, dark hair; wear glasses and have a big smile!
I'm not sure what more there is to tell about me but I'll think of something even if I have to make it up...just kidding!!!

Sunday is a day off for the blogging challenge but I will be back Sunday night for Carla's Sunday Night Chit-Chat:)

Kat
I really need to get a new picture of myself! I take pictures of everyone else but I am usually the one behind the camera, not in front of it! This one was taken with my brother's phone!


6 comments:

  1. I always liked the name Kathryn, and I especially like Kat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can call me Kat anytime! Kathryn sounds so aristocratic--stuffy--but Kat sounds sassy which is really more me:)

      Delete
  2. Both of your school shots are good ones, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever thing to do for the a-z challenge. Loved the pics! Since we're the same age I can tell your Mom got the necessary handbook about fuzzy hair for picture day from a long line a good Moms of the time. The minute I saw the picture I knew the story. Really funny thing is, I have naturally curly hair...and yet I got the fuzzy perms too...go figure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think there were a lot of moms who read the same how-to parent book! What's even funnier is I have naturally curly hair too!!! What were our mom's thinking?!!!

      Delete