Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tasty Tuesday

Ahhh! Tasty Tuesday is so much fun for me because I get to share recipes with you that have become family favorites!

Remember the recipe I mentioned wanting to try yesterday? Easy Tomato Basil Blender Soup? Well, just let me say, AWESOME! I picked the tomatoes from our garden so it was even better. Click on the link and you will see the recipe and some wonderful photos of the process. This recipe was definitely a keeper!

Since the weather is turning cool, I crave soup and my favorite soup (actually my ultimate comfort food) is Potato-Corn Chowder! My mom made a delicious Potato Soup but over the years I have tasted others and included an ingredient here and there that I thought would improve the flavor even more. THEN, I became intolerant to dairy so had to make even more changes. I posted this recipe back in September, 2012 but thought if you missed it the first time, you could catch it this time around:)

POTATO CORN CHOWDER

6 medium potatoes
2 cups frozen or fresh corn (canned will work in a pinch)
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup celery sliced or chopped
1/2 cup coconut oil (can use margarine, butter or light olive oil)
2 quarts rice milk (soy, coconut or dairy milk can be substituted)
1 1/2 tsp salt (add more to taste at the end, if necessary)
1/2 cup unbleached flour (see note for gluten-free)
1 tsp dried basil
dash Red Pepper Flakes (optional)

  1. Peel potatoes. Cut into bite size pieces. Put in saucepan; cover with water. Add 1 tsp salt. Cook till fork tender.
  2. While potatoes are cooking, put coconut oil in very large pot over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook till tender. Add flour and 1 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir to make a paste. Add "milk" and stir with wire whisk till blended well.
  3. When potatoes are cooked, drain (I save the water to make bread). Mash potatoes leaving several big pieces of potato. Add to "milk" mixture.
  4. Add corn, basil and red pepper flakes. Only add the red pepper flakes if you like hot or they can be added to individual bowls.
  5. Heat almost to boil but do not let it boil.
  6. Enjoy:)
Note: When I am making the Potato Corn Chowder gluten-free, I omit the flour and add about 1/2 cup of instant mashed potato flakes in step 2.

Also note: If you want a little more color, you can grate, slice or chop one or two carrots. If slicing or chopping, cook carrots with potatoes. If grating, you can add carrots with the corn. I have also added broccoli when it struck my fancy.

Well, I am off to make a stab at being productive today! Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

Kat

2 comments:

  1. That recipe sounds interesting. When I think chowder, I'm always thinking seafood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right by the dictionary adds corn and potato chowder as well: "a rich soup typically containing fish, clams, or corn with potatoes and onions : clam chowder." And it is so delicious!

      Delete