Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Near East Copycat Rice


Welcome to Tasty Tuesday! I have a very tasty treat for you today!

First off, I would totally flunk in the school of food photography! Now that I look at it, I should have piled the rice on a plate and sprinkled with parsley...or something! Maybe I will get some tips from my niece Mindy about photographing food. Well, I hope it doesn't take away from the fact that this was truly the best rice I have EVER eaten! We used to buy Near East Rice Pilaf but one day I went to make some and there was only ONE box! One box for this family just doesn't cut it so off to the internet I went to Google "Near East rice recipe". Bam! Up comes this recipe for Copycat Near East Rice Pilaf! Not only is it super easy and takes only 20 minutes, but it is seriously delicious! Erica is a food genius!!!

As usual, I made just a few tiny modifications for our tastes but nothing serious!

Copycat Near East Rice Pilaf

Author: Erica
Yields: 4-6 (as a side dish)

Ingredients

  • 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp butter or olive oil (I used avocado oil)
  • 1 cup long grain rice (I used Jasmine rice)
  • 1/3 cup orzo pasta (you might be tempted to skip this ingredient but don't...I tried it both ways and it is so much better with the orzo)
  • 1/8 tsp tumeric
  • 1/8 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt (I used 1 tsp Celtic Sea Salt so my thought is salt to taste)
Instructions
  1. Bring broth, water and butter/oil to boil in a small pot.
  2. Add rice, orzo and spices and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 18 minutes.
  3. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Erica has a printable version of this recipe on her blog plus a lot of other great recipes. 

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

Kat

4 comments:

  1. My husband loves rice pilaf! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a keeper! Thanks for stopping by, Heather!

      Delete
  2. I imagine I'd like it- though I can't recall the taste of tumeric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tumeric doesn't have a very strong flavor but a beautiful yellow color. It is used in Indian cooking a lot and has huge health benefits.

      Delete